- Location Mars Bluff, Florence County
1132 Francis Marion Road
- Origin of name Named by Joseph Wilds Wallace, Jr. after the horse Andrew Hunter rode during his famous American Revolution escape (2).
- Other names Evander Gregg House
- Current status The house is owned by the non-profit organization Red Doe Plantation, Inc.
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- Circa 1836 John Gregg acquired the property (3).
- 1836 John Gregg gave the 1,005-acre plantation to his son Evander A. Gregg. Evander was 18 (1, p. 3) (3).
Evander's brother, J. Eli Gregg, owned neighboring Gregg Plantation.
- Circa 1836-1846 House built by Evander A. Gregg (1, p. 3) (2).
- 1865 Gregg sold the plantation to Simon Lucas on November 1 (2).
- 1867 Simon Lucas was unable to make the payments and signed the property back over to Evander Gregg in January (2).
- 1867 Evander Gregg then sold the plantation to his brother Ephraim Gregg (2).
- 1867 Ephraim didn't keep the property long and sold it to Robert Legare Singletary in December (2).
- 1912 Singletary's widow, Sarah Jane Evans Singletary, sold it to Joseph Wilds Wallace in December (2).
- 1920 In January, Wallace sold the plantation to his brother-in-law, Rev. Thomas Hartwell Edwards (2).
- 1928 Rev. Edwards deeded the plantation to Joseph Wilds Wallace's three sons, W.G. Wallace, Joseph Wilds Wallace Jr., and Marion Chisholm Wallace (2).
About 1934, Joseph Wilds Wallace, Jr., began calling the plantation Red Doe. Red Doe was the name of the horse Andrew Hunter rode during his famous American Revolution escape (2).
- Circa 1940 Marion Chisholm Wallace and his wife Anne Pearce Wallace acquired Gregg Plantation (2).
- 1940-1941 The Wallaces restored the house (2).
- 1982 Marion Chisholm Wallace, great-grandnephew of Evander Gregg, was still owner (1, p. 3).
- ? The Robert Pearce Wilkins family acquired the plantation (2).
- 2006 After passing through generations of Gregg descendants, Robert Pearce Wilkins and family donated the house to the Pee Dee Rifles organization which created the Red Doe Plantation, Inc., a nonprofit corporation (2).
- Number of slaves 38 in 1860 (1, p. 3)
- The house is still standing but not open on a regular basis. It was constructed as a raised cottage with a timber frame.
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1982
Photographs, architectural overview
- Carl Hill, About Red Doe Plantation: Click here
- 1839 Will of John Gregg
- Red Doe Plantation, Inc.
c/o Gretchen Huggins
3695 Willow Creek Road
Florence, SC 29505
Website: Click here