- Location Waccamaw River, Georgetown, All Saints Parish, Georgetown County
Original plantation lands were located on the Waccamaw Neck, off US 17, and stretched from the Waccamaw River to the Atlantic Ocean.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Heriot-Huger Tract, Alderley
- Current status Owned by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation
- 1718 John, Lord Carteret, one of the Lords Proprietors, claimed 12,000 acres and called it Hobcaw Barony (3, p. 3).
- 1730 Lord Carteret sold the property to John Roberts for £500.
John Roberts sold the land to three men: Sir William Baker, Nicholas Linwood, and Brice Fisher. The three men appointed two agents to sell off the land. Hobcaw Barony would eventually be divided into many plantations (3, p. 3).
- 1767 Robert Heriot bought 2,177 acres of Hobcaw Barony.
Benjamin Huger bought another tract to the south of Heriot's consisting of 1,711 acres (3, p. 35).
- 1772 Benjamin Huger sold his acreage to Robert Heriot (3, p. 35).
- 1792 Robert Heriot died and his estate was divided into three tracts. The northern third became Rose Hill and the lower third was bought by Thomas Young who named his portion Youngville (3, p. 36).
- 1802 Benjamin Huger, Jr. was in possession of the middle section of approximately 1,270 acres. Part of this had been his father's property before Robert Heriot bought it (3, p. 48).
Soon after he purchased the place he gave it to his half-brother Francis Kinloch Huger.
- 1848 Some time before this date Huger sold the plantation to Joshua John Ward (3, p. 50).
- 1850 Joshua John Ward owned 1,092 slaves that worked on his following plantations: Springfield, Brookgreen, Prospect Hill, Oryzantia, Longwood, and Alderly (3, p. 50).
- 1853 Joshua John Ward died and his son Mayham Ward inherited Alderly.
- 1866 Mayham Ward died and his estate ended up in court to be divided more equitably. At this point Alderly was joined with Oryzantia and divided into three parts. The center portion with the dwelling house and 670 acres went to his wife and their only surviving child Mayham Lee Ward. This portion was still known as Alderly (3, p. 50).
- 1906 Samuel Mortimer Ward owned the entire plantation of Alderly and he sold it to Heiman Kaminski (3, p. 50).
- 1907 Bernard M. Baruch purchased the plantation from Heiman Kaminski (3, p. 50).
Between 1905 and 1907 Baruch attempted to buy up the land that had once been part of the original Hobcaw Barony. Alderly was the last plantation he bought, and he called all of his property Hobcaw Barony using the original name.
- 1935-1943 Bernard M. Baruch conveyed most of Hobcaw Barony to his daughter, Belle Wilcox Baruch (1, p. 42).
- 1956 Belle Baruch created the Bernard M. Baruch Foundation to manage the barony as an educational center focusing on forestry and marine science (3, p. 54).
- 1964 Belle Baruch died and her father decided to change the name of the foundation to the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. The foundation still exists today and continues to provide educational opportunities in wildlife conservation and research (1, p. 42).
- Number of acres 670 in 1866
- Primary crop ?
- Chronological list John, Lord Carteret (1718-1730); John Roberts (1730-?); Sir William Baker, Nicholas Linwood, and Brice Fisher; Robert Heriot (1767-1792); Benjamin Huger, Jr. (1802); Francis Kinloch Huger (1802-?); Joshua John Ward (1848-1853); Mayham Ward (1853-1866); Mayham Lee Ward (1866-?): Samuel Mortimer Ward (?-1906) Heiman Kaminski (1906-1907); Bernard M. Baruch (1907-1943); Belle Wilcox Baruch (1943-1964); Belle W. Baruch Foundation (1964-present, 2013)
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1994
Photographs, architectural overview
- History of Hobcaw Barony: Click here
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001), pp. 46-51
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- Belle W. Baruch Foundation
22 Hobcaw Road
Georgetown, SC 29440
Website: Click here