— Bellefield Plantation © Gazie Nagle, 2013 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Waccamaw River, Georgetown, All Saints Waccamaw Parish, Georgetown County
Original plantation lands were located on the Waccamaw Neck off US 17.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Part of the Belle W. Baruch Foundation
- 1718 John, Lord Carteret, one of the Lords Proprietors, claimed 12,000 acres and called it Hobcaw Barony (3).
- 1730 Lord Carteret sold the property to John Roberts for £500.
John Roberts sold the land to three men: Sir William Baker, Nicholas Linwood, and Brice Fisher. The three men appointed two agents to sell off the land. Hobcaw Barony would eventually be divided into many plantations (3).
- 1767 Records indicate that Henry James Daubuz received a tract of land from the Hobcaw Barony. No documents have been found regarding his ownership (3, p. 36).
- 1794 Thomas Young was in possession of the property. It contained 870 acres, and he named it Bellefield (3, p. 36).
- 1804 Thomas Young died and his property was divided into smaller tracts. Bellefield remained intact and went to Dr. William Allston and was then sold to William Alston (3, p. 37).
- 1839 Charles Coteswoth Pinckney Alston owned Bellefield. At this time Alston owned both Bellefield and Youngville (3, p. 37).
- 1881 Charles C.P. Alston died and left his estate to his three children: Joseph Pringle, Charles Pringle, and Susan Pringle Alston. The three never married or had children (3, p. 38).
- 1906 Susan and Charles Pringle Alston sold the plantations to Bernard M. Baruch (3, p. 38).
Baruch was in the process of acquiring all the plantations that were created from the original Hobcaw Barony. He called all of his property Hobcaw Barony using the original name.
- 1935-1943 Bernard M. Baruch conveyed most of Hobcaw Barony to his daughter, Belle Wilcox Baruch (1).
- 1956 Belle Baruch created the Bernard M. Baruch Foundation to manage the barony as an educational center focusing on forestry and marine science (3, p. 54).
- 1964 Belle Baruch died and her father decided to change the name of the foundation to the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. The foundation still exists today and continues to provide educational opportunities in wildlife conservation and research (1).
- Number of acres 870 in 1794
- Primary crop Rice
- Chronological list John, Lord Carteret (1718-1730); John Roberts (1730-?); Sir William Baker, Nicholas Linwood, and Brice Fisher; Henry James Daubuz (1767); Thomas Young (1794-1804); Dr. William Allston (1804-?); William Alston; Charles Coteswoth Pinckney Alston (1839-1881); Joseph Pringle, Charles Pringle and Susan Pringle Alston (1881-1906); Bernard M. Baruch (1906-1943); Belle Wilcox Baruch (1943-1964); Belle W. Baruch Foundation (1964-present, 2013)
- Number of slaves 290 in 1860 (total for Alston's Bellefield Plantation and Fairfield Plantation) (5, p. 19)
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1994
Photographs, architectural overview
- History of Hobcaw Barony: Click here
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001), pp. 34-39
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- George C. Rodgers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1990)
Order The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina
- Charles Joyner, Down by the Riverside: A South Carolina Slave Community, Anniversary Edition (Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press, 2009)
- Belle W. Baruch Foundation
22 Hobcaw Road
Georgetown, SC 29440
Website: Click here