Charing Cross Ferry Plantation Georgetown
- Location Black River, Georgetown, Prince George Winyah Parish, Georgetown County
Located on Beneventum Road off US 701
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Pringle's Crossing
- Current status Became part of Beneventum Plantation in the early 1800s
- 1733 Earliest known date of existence (1, p. 461)
James Lloyd had a tract of 734 acres surveyed (1, p. 461).
- 1735 Lloyd sold the property to Thomas Gadsden for £100. Gadsden owned adjoining property and had a total of 800 acres when he combined the two (1, p. 461).
- 1741 Thomas Gadsden died and his land was left to his son Christopher Gadsden (1, p. 461).
- 1770 Christopher Gadsden put his plantation, known as Charing Cross Ferry, up for sale (1, p. 461).
- 1784 It is unclear when Christopher Gadsden sold Charing Cross Ferry but at some point, brothers Cleland and Francis Kinloch acquired it and sold 200 acres of the plantation back to Christopher Gadsden (1, p. 461).
- 1797 The existing Black River ferry crossing was deemed too dangerous and was moved to Charing Cross Ferry Plantation (1, p. 462).
- 1805 Christopher Gadsden passed away (1, p. 462).
- 1806 John Julius Pringle purchased the plantation from the Gadsden estate and the river crossing became known as Pringle's Crossing (1, p. 462, 464).
- Circa 1830 After John Julius Pringle acquired The Grove Plantation, he merged it with Charing Cross Ferry Plantation and called the combined property Beneventum Plantation (1, p. 464).
See Beneventum Plantation for further history.
- Number of acres 374 in 1733; 800 in 1735; 200 in 1784 (1, p. 461)
- Primary crop Rice
- Number of slaves 39 in 1805 (1, p. 462)
References & Resources
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001), pp. 459-464
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River