Michau Plantation Georgetown Georgetown County
- Location Waccamaw River, Georgetown, All Saints Waccamaw Parish, Georgetown County
Original plantation lands were located on the Waccamaw Neck off US 17.
- Origin of name Named after an early owner
- Other names ?
- Current status Owned by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation as part of Hobcaw Barony which is open to the public for guided tours.
- 1718 John, Lord Carteret, one of the Lords Proprietors, claimed 12,000 acres and called it Hobcaw Barony (4, p. 3).
- 1730 Lord Carteret sold the property to John Roberts for £500.
John Roberts sold the land to three men: Sir William Baker, Nicholas Linwood, and Brice Fisher. The three men appointed two agents to sell off the land. Hobcaw Barony would eventually be divided into many plantations (4, p. 3).
- 1767 Samuel Clegg III bought 3,304¾ acres of Hobcaw Barony for £4,200 (4, p. 3).
- 1796 Samuel Clegg III divided his land into two tracts. One tract went to Paul Michau. He had married Lydia Clegg Towner, one of the granddaughters of Samuel Clegg III (3, p. 4).
- 1812 In Paul Michau's will he left instructions for his property to be divided amongst his heirs. However, this did not happen.
Paul Michau had mortgaged his property several times throughout his ownership. Since the mortgages had not been paid the court took over and foreclosed on the property (4, p. 8).
- 1822 The court sold the property to Robert F. Withers.
- 1827 Benjamin F. Hunt purchased the property when Robert F. Withers failed to make payments on the place (4, p. 8).
- 1837 The court resold the land again. It is assumed that Reverend Hugh Fraser of Calais bought the land because it shows up in a sales advertisement along with his other property in 1840 (4, p. 8).
- ? Robert F.W. Allston purchased Michau.
- 1843 Robert F.W. Allston sold Michau, consisting of 2,845 acres, to William Algernon Alston.
- 1860 By this time William Algernon Alston owned Marietta, Friendfield, Strawberry Hill, Calais, and Michau (1, p. 44).
- 1865 William Algernon Alston's plantations were considered unoccupied and seized by the Freedman's Bureau. His grandson, William Algernon Alston, Jr. was able to reclaim the land before he died in 1867 (1, p. 44).
- 1874 The executor of William Algernon Alston, Jr.'s estate sold all of the plantations to Hardy Solomon (4, p. 8).
- 1875 Hardy Solomon sold the land to Eliza Donaldson. The Donaldson family referred to all the plantations as Friendfield Plantation. The family continued to plant rice on the plantations (4, p. 8).
- 1905 All of the plantations comprising Friendfield Plantation were sold to Bernard M. Baruch. Upon hearing the history of the original Hobcaw Barony, Baruch began acquiring the plantations that had been created from the Barony. He called all of his property Hobcaw Barony using the original name.
- 1935-1943 Bernard M. Baruch conveyed most of Hobcaw Barony to his daughter, Belle Wilcox Baruch (1, p. 42).
- 1956 Belle Baruch created the Bernard M. Baruch Foundation to manage the barony as an educational center focusing on forestry and marine science (4, p. 54).
- 1964 Belle Baruch died and her father decided to change the name of the foundation to the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. The foundation still exists today and continues to provide educational opportunities in wildlife conservation and research (1, p. 42).
- Number of acres 2,845 in 1843
- Primary crop Rice
- Number of slaves 27 in 1812
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1994
Photographs, architectural overview
- History of Hobcaw Barony: Click here
- Julian Stevenson Bolick, Waccamaw Plantations
(Clinton, SC: Jacob Press, 1946)
Order Waccamaw Plantations
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- George C. Rogers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1990)
Order The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina
- Belle W. Baruch Foundation
22 Hobcaw Road
Georgetown, SC 29440
Website: Click here