- Location Pee Dee River, Georgetown, Prince George Winyah Parish, Georgetown County
Located east of US 701 off Plantersville Road on Nightingale Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Nightingale (Hall was added to the name in 1846)
- Current status Privately owned
— Entrance to Nightingale Hall Plantation 2012 © Gazie Nagle —
- 1730 Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- 1846 Robert F.W. Allston purchased the plantation from George A. Moultrie for $80,000 (1, p. 3).
- 1864 Allston died and the plantation was sold with the proceeds divided among his heirs (1, p. 3).
- 1918 The current house was built after the original was torn down (1, p. 3).
- Number of acres 1,200 in 1846 (1, p. 3).
- Primary crop Rice
Click here for a picture of the rice mill chimney that remains on the property.
- Alphabetical list Robert F.W. Allston (1846-1864); Austin; LaRoche; George A. Moultrie (?-1846); Paine; Swinton; Thurston
- Number of slaves 100 in 1846 (1, p. 3)
— Nightingale Hall Plantation Boat © Contributed by Trish Callis Nicholson —
— The boy is the superintendent's son, Roger B. Callis —
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1987
Photographs, architectural overview
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- Katherine H. Richardson, Pawleys Island Historically Speaking (Pawleys Island, SC: Pawleys Island Civic Association, 1995)
Order Pawleys Island Historically Speaking
- George C. Rodgers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1990)
Order The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina