— The Oaks Plantation © Gazie Nagle, 2014 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Westside of the North Santee River, Georgetown, Georgetown County
Plantation lands are bordered by US 17/701, SC Secondary Road 24 (Powell Road), and the North Santee River (3).
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- 1706 Earliest known date of existence (2, p. 685)
John Sauseau, a French Huguenot settler, received a grant from the Lords Proprietors (2, p. 685).
- 1731 John Sauseau died leaving his property along the Santee River in trust for his grandchildren (2, p. 685).
- 1733 Sauseau's son-in-law sold the property to William Buchanan (2, p. 685).
- ? House built
Buchanan, his wife Deborah, and five children lived at the plantation. He cultivated rice and ran a successful ferry business (2, p. 686).
- 1757 Buchanan died. In his will he left his property, including a house, to his wife for her life and then the property was to go to his son James (2, p. 686).
- 1768 James Buchanan sold the 500 acre property his sister's husband Francis Withers (2, p. 686).
- ? Francis's son Robert Francis Withers became owner (2, p. 687).
- 1793 Robert Withers sold the plantation, which contained 736.5 acres, to brothers William and Isaac Mazyck (2, p. 687).
- 1806 The Mazycks sold The Oaks to their brother-in-law John Hume. Hume was the largest landowner in the area and made his home at Hopsewee Plantation. There was a two-story house on The Oaks at this time (2, p. 688).
- 1841 Hume passed away stipulating the large majority of his property, including The Oaks, be sold and the proceeds divided among his children (2, p. 688).
- 1855 John Hume's son, Robert Hume, sold The Oaks Plantation, Jutland Plantation, and Bear Hill Plantation to Augustine Louis Taveau (2, p. 688).
- 1858 Taveau had financial difficulties and sold The Oaks to Robert H. Lucas (2, p. 689).
- 1867 Lucas sold the plantation jointly with several other tracts to William Birney. On the same day, Birney sold the property to Elliott Maxwell Lucas (2, p. 689).
- 1871 William Birney's son, James Birney, foreclosed on the mortgage his father issued to Lucas on The Oaks (2, p. 689).
- 1905 James Birney, Mary Birney Lewis, and Janet Birney Brewster sold the plantation to Oneida Timber (2, p. 690).
- 1906 Oneida Timber sold the property for $5.00 to D.N. Bourne, B.O. Bourne, and J.M Bourne (2, p. 690).
- ? Westvaco owned and managed the majority of the property (2, p. 690).
- 2001 Mr. and Mrs. Herbert J. Butler owned the house of The Oaks Plantation (2, p. 690).
- Number of slaves 46 in 1757 (2, p. 686)
- A two-story house was constructed on The Oaks sometime in the 1700s. We do not have any information on the current house at The Oaks. If you do, please let us know.
References & Resources
- SC Highway Historical Marker Guide - online database by the SC Department of Archives & History
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- Information contributed by Gazie Nagle