Windsor Plantation Georgetown Georgetown County
- Location Black River, Georgetown, Prince George Winyah Parish, Georgetown County
- Origin of name Name means "winding shore"
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned; the plantation lands have been subdivided and developed over the years; Windsor Plantation now sits inside a modern subdivision (4, p. 433).
- Early 1700s Earliest known date of existence
John Abraham Motte received a grant for 200 acres along the Black River (4, p. 433).
- ? House built
- ? William Screven acquired Motte's 200 acres (4, p. 433).
- 1749 William Screven conveyed the tract plus an additional 400 acres to William Pool (4, p. 434).
- 1750 William Pool died leaving the plantation to his son Joseph Poole. Joseph expanded the plantation's property when he purchased 380 acres from Joseph Dubordieu (4, p. 434).
- 1757 Joseph Poole had purchased more property to bring the size of Windsor Plantation up to 1177 ½ acres when he sold it to John Waites (4, p. 434).
- Circa 1758 House built (4, p. 434).
It is believed the house the Waites built was the second to stand at Windsor Plantation (4, p. 434).
- 1760 John Waites died leaving his wife with two young sons. His will stipulated his property be sold and proceeds divided among his heirs (4, p. 434).
- 1761 A 757 acre section of the plantation was sold to Paul Trapier and retained the Windsor name. The remaining property was sold to Samuel Wragg and became Wedgefield Plantation (4, p. 434-435).
- 1793 Paul Trapier passed away and left Windsor Plantation to his sons Paul and Benjamin Foisson Trapier (4, p. 435).
- 1802 Paul Trapier built a house, believed to be the third constructed at the plantation. This house was destroyed by fire in 1931 while it was being expanded (4, p. 435-436).
- 1812 When Paul Trapier married Sarah Alicia Shubrick in 1802 he agreed to secure several of his father-in-law's debts. By 1812, the debts had all but ruined Trapier and he placed Windsor Plantation in a trust for his brothers Benjamin Foisson and William Windham Trapier, brother-in-law John Keith and friend William Drayton (4, p. 436).
At some point, the Trapier brothers gained sole control of the plantation and divided it in two (4, p. 436).
- 1832 William Windham Trapier died and his property was sold at auction. Benjamin Trapier was able to purchase it and make Windsor Plantation whole again (4, p. 436).
- 1850 Benjamin Trapier had passed away by this point with his widow Hannah Trapier and children still successfully producing rice at Windsor Plantation (4, p. 436).
- 1865 The plantation was raided by Union soliders but the Trapier family was able to keep the house from being burned (4, p. 437).
- 1870 A lawsuit against the estate of Benjamin and Hannah Trapier forced the sale of Windsor Plantation at auction. Mrs. Sarah C. H. Waldo was the highest bidder (4, p. 437).
- 1883 Mrs. Waldo was unable to keep up payments on the plantation and ownership reverted back to the Trapiers (4, p. 437).
- 1885 The Trapier estate sold the plantation to Charles Petigru Allston (4, p. 437).
- 1929 Paul Mills purchased Windsor from the Allston estate. The house was destroyed by fire during renovations in 1931. The Mills built another house at Windsor (4, p. 437).
- 1958 Dr. and Mrs. Harry C. Tiller purchased the plantation. They subdivided the property into a housing development, retaining 9 acres around the plantation house for their residence (4, p. 437).
- Circa 1978 Kenneth W. Thornton Jr. purchased Windsor. Once again, the house burned during renovations. Thornton did rebuild the house (4, p. 437).
- 1986 Mr. and Mrs. Andre Garr purchased Windsor and the house once again was renovated (4, p. 438).
- 2015 Don Anderson Quattlebaum purchased Windsor Plantation. Mr. Quattlebaum also owned nearby White House Plantation (6).
- Number of acres 200 in the early 1700s; 600 in 1749; 980 circa 1750; 1177 ½ in 1757; 757 in 1761; 9 in 1958; 7 in 2005 (4)
- Primary crop Rice (5, p. 3)
- Number of slaves ?
- In 2009, the caretaker's house was for sale and included 4 acres of property. Built in the 1750s, it was the last remaining, historic structure of Windsor Plantation: YouTube Video
References & Resources
- Mansfield Plantation History: Click here
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- George C. Rogers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1990)
Order The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001), pp. 433-438.
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1987
Photographs, architectural overview
- Information contributed by Steve O'Harra.