Youngville Plantation Georgetown Georgetown County
- Location Waccamaw River, Georgetown, All Saints Waccamaw Parish, Georgetown County
Original plantation lands were located on the Waccamaw Neck off US 17.
- Other names Heriot-Huger Tract
- Current status Owned by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation as part of Hobcaw Barony which is open to the public for guided tours.
- 1718 John, Lord Carteret, one of the Lords Proprietors, claimed 12,000 acres and called it Hobcaw Barony (4, p. 3).
- 1730 Lord Carteret sold the property to John Roberts for £500.
John Roberts sold the land to three men: Sir William Baker, Nicholas Linwood, and Brice Fisher. The three men appointed two agents to sell off the land. Hobcaw Barony would eventually be divided into many plantations (4, p. 3).
- 1767 Robert Heriot bought 2,177 acres of Hobcaw Barony.
Benjamin Huger bought another tract to the south of Heriot's consisting of 1,711 acres (4, p. 35).
- 1772 Benjamin Huger sold his acreage to Robert Heriot (4, p. 35).
- 1792 Robert Heriot died and his estate was divided into three tracts. The northern third became Rose Hill, the middle third went to Benjamin Huger, Jr., and the lower third was bought by Thomas Young who named his portion Youngville (4, p. 36).
- 1794 Thomas Young divided his property into two tracts which became known as Oryzantia and Youngville. At the same time Young also purchaed Bellefield Plantation which bordered his property (4, p. 36).
A plat dated 1794 shows two rows of slave houses and a larger building at the head of an avenue. Thomas Young probably kept a residence here, and he and his family spent their time between Youngville and Bellefield (4, p. 37).
- 1804 Thomas Young died and his property was divided into smaller tracts. The land along the seashore was sold to Colonel William Alston. The remaining portion of the plantation along the Waccamaw River went to Thomas Mitchell (4, p. 37).
- 1808 Benjamin Allston Sr. owned Youngville. He paid £5,400 for 296 acres.
- 1838 Youngville was advertised for sale in the newspaper.
- 1839 William Bull Pringle owned Youngville at this time.
- 1845 Charles Coteswoth Pinckney Alston owned the place (4, p. 38).
- 1881 Charles C.P. Alston died and left his estate to his three children: Joseph Pringle, Charles Pringle, and Susan Pringle Alston. The three never married or had children (4, p. 38).
- 1906 Susan and Charles Pringle Alston sold the plantations to Bernard M. Baruch (4, p. 38).
Baruch was in the process of acquiring all the plantations that were created from the original Hobcaw Barony. He called all of his property Hobcaw Barony using the original name.
- 1935-1943 Bernard M. Baruch conveyed most of Hobcaw Barony to his daughter, Belle Wilcox Baruch (1, p. 42).
- 1956 Belle Baruch created the Bernard M. Baruch Foundation to manage the barony as an educational center focusing on forestry and marine science (4, p. 54).
- 1964 Belle Baruch died and her father decided to change the name of the foundation to the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. The foundation still exists today and continues to provide educational opportunities in wildlife conservation and research (1, p. 42).
- Number of acres 2,177 in 1767; 3,888 in 1772; 296 in 1808
- Primary crop Indigo, rice
- Number of slaves 128 in 1790
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1994
Photographs, architectural overview
- History of Hobcaw Barony: Click here
- Alberta Morel Lachicotte, Georgetown Rice Plantations (Georgetown, SC: Georgetown County Historical Society, 1993)
Order Georgetown Rice Plantations
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- Belle W. Baruch Foundation
22 Hobcaw Road
Georgetown, SC 29440
Website: Click here