- Location North Saluda River, Travelers Rest, Greenville County
894 Highway 414
- Origin of name Named for early owner
- Other names George Salmon House, C. Douglas Wilson Farm
- Current status Privately owned
- 1784 Earliest known date of existence when George Salmon obtained a warrant for 640 acres that had been part of a Cherokee settlement (National Register, p. 8).
- 1784 Log house built by George Salmon (National Register, p. 2)
Salmon was an important surveyor as he worked on the division of the Cherokee land and established the border between North Carolina and South Carolina in the Upstate area. He would later be elected to serve in the South Carolina House of Representative (National Register, p. 3).
- 1836 Over the previous years, Salmon had been slowly selling of his land holdings. In this year, he sold the house and remaining 1,826 acres of the plantation at auction to pay-off a judgement (National Register, p. 8).
Ezekial Salmon, George's son, was able to purchase the plantation at the auction (National Register, p. 8).
- 1839 Ezekial sold the plantation, which at that time consisted of 1,000 acres, to Colonel Robert Cox (National Register, p. 8).
- 1930s It is believed the plantation remained in Cox family until this time (National Register, p. 10).
- 1950 C. Douglas Wilson purchased the plantation (National Register, p. 10).
- ? Mr. and Mrs. John N. Walker became owners (National Register, p. 10).
- Number of acres 640 in 1784; 3,415 in 1794; 1,826 in 1836; 1,000 in 1839; 2.6 in 1987 (National Register)
- George Salmon died in 1838 and is buried on the property National Register, p. 8).
- Primary crop ?
- Chronological list George Salmon (1784-1836), Ezekial Salmon (1836-1839), Colonel Robert Cox (1839-?), Cox Family (?-1930), C. Douglas Wilson (1950-?), Mr. and Mrs. John N. Walker (1987)
- Number of slaves ?
- Original log house built in 1784 by George Salmon. He later enlarged the loft area to create second story. Later, two additions were added to transform the house into a plantation, plain style house. In 1984, the house was move approximately 100 feet and pivoted 90 degrees. At this time, the house was enlarged once again and refurbished (National Register, p. 2).
- A 19th century smokehouse still remains on the property (National Register, p. 7).
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1987
Photographs, architectural overview
More About Greenville
- Learn more about historic Greenville County, including the lovely city of Greenville SC. We have helpful guides to Greenville SC history and Greenville SC libraries and museums – plus Greenville SC restaurants, Greenville SC bed & breakfasts, Greenville SC hotels, and Greenville SC real estate.