Gilder Plantation Simpsonville Greenville County
- Location Simpsonville, Greenville County
Near intersection of Highway 14 and Bethel Road
- Origin of name Named for Gilder Creek that runs through the property (3)
- Other names Austin
- Current status Land has been subdivided over the years with the bulk of acreage being developed as a subdivision with golf course, and country club. The plantation house is still standing and has continuously remained privately owned by the Austin family.
- 1769 Earliest known date of existence when Nathaniel Austin, Sr. was awarded a Royal Grant for 500 acres on the Little River (which would become known as ) (1).
- Circa 1774 House built. The family moved to Gilder in 1774 (1).
- 1786 A larger house was built to accommodate the growing family (2).
- 1830 A third house, that still exists, was built by William and Jane Collins Austin (2).
- ? Col. and Mrs. William Renwick Austin II became owners of the plantation (1).
- Chronological list Nathaniel Austin, Sr. (1769-1798), William and Jane Collins Austin, Col. and Mrs. William Renwick Austin II
- Number of slaves 8 in 1790, 9 in 1841 (1)
- The first Gilder house was built about 1774 and was a two-story log house (1).
- Gilder II, as the family called the second house, was built about 1783 to accommodate the growing Austin family. It remained standing until about 1920 (1).
- Gilder III, which is still standing, was built in 1830 by William and Jane Collins Austin (2).