Cherry Grove Plantation North Myrtle Beach Horry County
Much of the information on this page was contributed by J. Benjamin Burroughs of Conway, South Carolina. Ben was formerly the Executive Director of the Horry County Historical Society.
- Location North Myrtle Beach, All Saints Parish, Horry County
Original plantation lands were located in the Cherry Beach vicinity.
- Origin of name The name comes from the cherry trees that are native to the area.
- Other names Minor's Island
- Current status Plantation no longer exists due to development.
- 1735 Earliest known date of existence
John Morrall received a land grant for 453 acres.
- 1808 The Morrall family was still in possession of the plantation which now consisted of 1,898 acres. The plantation now stretched from the ocean across Little River Neck to Little River.
- ? The Morralls sold much of this land to John Bellamy, an early settler of French Huguenot descent. John Bellamy had a house on Little River Neck.
- 1848 The Bellamy lands were sold to Colonel Daniel W. Jordan.
- 1859 Colonel Jordan sold his holdings of 9,940 acres to Nicholas N. Nixon for $25,000. Jordan moved to Laurel Hill in Georgetown County.
- 1920s The Nixon families started to develop the Cherry Grove lands.
- Number of acres 453 in 1735; 1,898 in 1808; 9,940 in 1859
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list John Bellamy; Colonel Daniel W. Jordan; John Morrall; Nicholas N. Nixon
- Number of slaves 59 in 1850 (Jordan)
- Initial references: See #1
- 1850 Slave Schedules of Horry District, SC