Withers Plantation Myrtle Beach Horry County
Much of the information on this page was contributed by J. Benjamin Burroughs of Conway, South Carolina. Ben was formerly the Executive Director of the Horry County Historical Society.
- Location Long Bay (part of the Atlantic Ocean), Myrtle Beach, All Saints Parish, Horry County
- Origin of name Named after owner
- Other names ?
- Current status Plantation no longer exists. It was located in what is now the City of Myrtle Beach.
- 1700s Earliest known date of existence
The plantation was originally located in the vicinity of Eight Mile Swash, later renamed Withers Swash. (There is a Withers Swash Park today in Myrtle Beach.)
- ? House built
- 1801 Mary Esther Withers died.
Her tombstone is located in Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church's cemetery in Georgetown. It reads, "She gave up the pleasures of Society and retired to Long Bay, where she resided a great part of her life devoted to the welfare of her children."
- 1881 A post office was established on the plantation and was known as Withers. It operated until 1901.
- Number of acres Approximately 3,000
- Primary crop Indigo
- Alphabetical list John and Mary Esther Withers
- Number of slaves ?