Woodbourne Plantation Winyah Horry County
Much of the information on this page was contributed by J. Benjamin Burroughs of Conway, South Carolina. Ben was formerly the Executive Director of the Horry County Historical Society.
- Location Waccamaw River, Prince George's Parish, Horry County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Tip Top
- Current status
- 1735 Earliest known date of existence
The land which became Woodbourne derived from two tracts granted in 1735. One tract of 243 acres was granted to John Allston on June 4, 1735, and another tract of 1,085 acres was granted to Reverend Daniel Dwight on September 3, 1735.
- 1840/41 Thomas Pinckney Alston and his wife, Jane Ladson Smith, gave Woodbourne to their son, Jacob Motte Alston. Jacob grew rice on the plantation.
- 1849 A twelve room house was completed by Alston's carpenter Richmond.
A two-room bachelor's house was built on Bull Creek before the main house was built about 1½ miles away.
- 1858 Henry Buck purchased Woodbourne. He changed the name to Tip Top. Buck also owned Upper Mill Plantation.
- Number of acres 1,328 in 1735
- Primary crop Rice
- Alphabetical list Jacob Motte Alston; Thomas Pinckney and Jane Ladson Alston; Colonel William Alston; Henry Buck
- Number of slaves 87 in 1850 (Jacob Motte Alston); 312 in 1860 (Henry Buck)
Jacob Motte Alston recorded, "There were on my father's places some 400 negroes, more or less; on Woodbourne from 100 to 150 as the years rolled by" (Alston, p. 57).
- List of Negroes Belonging to J. Motte Alston Esq - 82 slaves listed in the account book of Charleston slave trader Alonzo J. White, December 1859
- Arney R. Childs (Editor), Rice Planter and Sportsman: The Recollections of J. Motte Alston, 1821-1909 (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1953).
- George C. Rogers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1970).
- 1850 Slave Schedules of Horry District, South Carolina
- 1860 Slave Schedules of Horry District, South Carolina