Mount Repose Plantation Jasper County
Thanks to Misty Dunn for providing the information on this page.
- Location Ridgeland Jasper County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Mont Repose
- Current status Privately owned
- ? Earliest known date of existence
Misty Dunn, who is part of an excavation group from Georgia Southern University, submitted the following: "(Mont Repose) was owned by Samuel R. Gillison. The 1840 US census shows he had 217 slaves. There are no structures left and we don't think the property was occupied after the Civil War. It was left to Samuel's granddaughters who did not live there and eventually it was sold for timbering and is now leased to hunters."
- ? House built
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop Rice
- Alphabetical list Samuel R. Gillison
- Number of slaves 217 in 1840