Plane Hill Plantation Boykin Kershaw County
- Location 691 Cantey Lane, Boykin, Kershaw County
- Origin of name Stephen Decatur Miller gave the site the name Plane Hill
- Other names The Terraces
- Current status Private residence
- 1817 Earliest known date of existence - the house was constructed by Starke Hunter on land conveyed to him by Burnwell Boykin.
- 1828 Mary Boykin and Stephen Decatur Miller made Plane Hill their home. Their daughter Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut would grow-up here and later become known for composing a diary of southern life.
- ? Sarah Jones DeSaussure and Alexander Hamilton Boykin along with their nine children took up residency. During the Boykin ownership, the famous terraced gardens were constructed which lead to the plantation being called The Terraces from then on.
- ? Charlotte Thompson became owner. After a horrific 1923 fire at nearby Cleveland School, Charlotte donated her house to the county for a school. The school was named Charlotte Thompson School in her honor (2).
- ? The Terraces once again became a residential home when purchased by Dr. Herbert and Gladys G. Schreiber. The Schreiber's owned The Terraces until Mrs. Schreiber became ill and sold the property.
- 1996 or 1997 Deborah A. and Thomas O. Brewer purchased The Terraces from Mrs. Schreiber.
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop Cotton (3)
- Alphabetical list Alexander Hamilton and Sarah Jones DeSaussure Boykin (?), Burnwell Boykin (?-1817), Thomas O. and Deborah A. Brewer (1996/1997-present), Starke Hunter (1817-1828), Kershaw County (1923-?), Stephen Decatur and Mary Boykin Miller (1828-?), Charlotte Thompson (?-1923), Dr. Herbert and Gladys G. Schreiber (?-1996/1997)
- House two story home with one-story porches was constructed in 1817.
References & Resources
- Historic Resources Survey of Kershaw County - PDF - see document pages 25, 118, 166
- South Carolina Postcards By Davie Beard - scroll down to second picture
- Boykin Family Papers, 1748-1932, 2001