- Location Lexington County
Originally, the house stood a very short distance from present day Greystone Boulevard on the left side of Broad River Road if traveling away from Columbia (4).
In 1995, the house was moved to 2184 North Lake Drive.
- Origin of name Named for early owner George Lorick
- Other names Lorick Place, Green Acres
- Current status The house is used as the Lake Murray Country Visitors Center and Museum.
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- 1840 House built by George Lorick (3)
George's son Samuel owned nearby Samuel Lorick Plantation. The two plantations sat across the Saluda River from each other.
- 1853 George Lorick owned the plantation until his death in this year (2).
- 1865 The Lorick Plantation house was occupied by Sherman's troops (3).
- 1937 William J. Fullbright purchased the property from the Lorick family (3).
- 1943 Mr. Fullbright passed away. His wife then sold the property to George Lorick's descendant Harold P. Lorick. Lorick constructed a horse carriage race track on the property (3).
- 1952 Frederick Benjamin Green purchased Lorick Plantation and the property became knows as Green Acres (3).
- 1995 The Lorick house was donated to the Lake Murray Tourism and Recreation Association and moved to its present location (3).
- Number of acres 7,650 in 1850 (2)
- Primary crops Corn, sweet potatoes, and cotton (2, 1850 Federal Census Agricultural Schedule)
- Alphabetical list Byrum; Capital City / Lake Murray Country Regional Tourism Board (1995-present, 2012); William J. Fullbright (1937-1943); Frederick Benjamin Green (1952-?); George Lorick (?-1853); Harold P. Lorick (1943-?); Love
- Number of slaves 132 in 1850 (5)
- House donated to and moved in 1995 by the Lake Murray Recreation and Tourism Association. It is now used as the Lake Murray Country Visitors Center and Museum by the Capital City / Lake Murray Country Regional Tourism Board.
References & Resources
- Carolina W. Todd and Sidney Wait, South Carolina: A Day at a Time (Orangeburg, SC: Sandlapper Publishing Company, 2008)
- Information contributed by J.R. Fennell
- Miriam Atria and Karen Thompson, Civil War Era & The History of the Lorick House
- Information contributed by John Joseph Howell
- 1850 Slave Schedule of Lexington County
- Capital City / Lake Murray Country Regional Tourism Board
2184 North Lake Drive
Columbia, SC 29212
Website: Click here