- Location Six miles north of Wallace, Marlboro County
County Road 266, at the North Carolina-South Carolina border
- Origin of name Named for the family that founded and still owns the plantation
- Other names Claudius Pegues House
- Current status Privately owned
- 1753 Earliest known date of existence
- Circa 1770 House built by Claudius Pegues (National Register, p. 2).
The house is the oldest in the county and has remained continuously in the Pegues family (Courtesy Jim Pegues).
- May 1781 At Pegues Place, Lt. Col. Edward Carrington and Capt. Frederick Cornwallis signed what was probably the only cartel for the exchange of prisoners during the Revolutionary War (National Register, p. 2.)
- 2011 William Pegues was owner.
- Number of acres 20,000 historically; 5,000 in 1970 (National Register, p. 3)
- Primary crop Cotton (Courtesy Jim Pegues)
- Chronological list Claudius Pegues (1753-?), F.P.B. and Jennie May Pegues, William Pegues
- Number of slaves ?
- It is believed another house had been on the property prior to the one built in 1770. Remains of a foundation have been located about 200' from the current house. It is belived this house was probably lost to fire.
- The current house is of two-story frame construction with great interior detailing. Two additions were made to the house with the first in the 1800s (National Register, p. 2).
- Original outbuildings that remain are barn, cotton gin, wash house, smoke house, carriage house, and greenhouse (National Register, p. 2).
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1970
Photographs, architectural overview
- Claudius Pegues House narrative by Margaret P. Kinney (contributed by Jim Pegues): PDF