Special thanks to Ned Carmody for providing all the information and pictures on this page.
- Location Troy McCormick County
2644 Old Charleston Road
- Origin of name The name comes from the ivy growing on the gate posts (1).
- Other names Wideman's (1)
- Current status Privately owned
- 1854 Earliest known date of existence
- 1854 House built by Dr. A. T. Wideman. It was constructed by Henry Jones of Atlanta during the same period he also worked on Eden Hall Plantation and nearby Long Cane Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (1).
- Over the decades, three generations of the Wideman family would call Ivy Gates their home.
- 1979 Howard Clayton purchased Ivy Gates (1).
- 2003 On December 8, 2003, Edward and Susan Carmody purchased the property from Howard Clayton (1).
- Number of acres 1300 acres in 1854
- Primary crop Cotton and naval stores
- The home still has its original English boxwood garden dating from 1856 (1).
- Number of slaves 36 according to the 1860 census
- Buildings include a two-story white clapboard house, barn, and smokehouse.
References & Resources
- Information contributed by Ned Carmody
- Joy Stagg Rust, Old Homes of South Carolina
(Gretna, LA: Pelican Publishing Company, 1992)
The following three photographs show Ivy Gates Plantation blanketed in snow from the February 2010 storm that covered the state of South Carolina.