— Numertia Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
- Location Eutawville, St. John's Berkeley Parish, Orangeburg County
- Origin of name Numertia's name comes from the Latin "numeral tertius" which means "the third"
- Other spelling Neumertia
- Current status Privately owned; working plantation growing wheat, corn, and soybeans
— Rear of Numertia Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
- 1840 Earliest known date of existence
- Circa 1850-1851 House built by Major Samuel Porcher for his grandson Richard Shackelford Porcher. The 1850 census lists Richard as 24 years old and a resident of his father, Thomas Porcher's, household (National Register, p. 1, 3).
- 1851 Major Porcher died and Richard became owner (National Register, p. 3).
- 1856 Christopher Gaillard, cousin of Richard Porcher, purchased the plantation (National Register, p. 3).
- 1911 William Snowden Gaillard, Christopher Gaillard's grandson, began working the plantation. In 1917, he started a dairy business on the plantation and became one of the largest milk producers in the state (National Register, p. 3).
- 1982 Gabrielle K. Gilliard, William's widow, was owner of record (National Register, p. 2).
- Number of acres 481 in 1856; 2,100 in 1860 (National Register, p. 3)
- Primary crop Historically cotton; wheat, corn, soybeans and milk in modern times (National Register, p. 3)
- Chronological list Major Samuel Porcher (?-1851); Richard Shackelford Porcher (1851-1856); Christopher Gaillard (1856-?); William Snowden Gaillard (1911-?); Gabrielle K. Gilliard (1982)
- Number of slaves 91 in 1860 under Christopher Gaillard (National Register, p. 3)
- The house is two-story of frame construction. Other historic buildings on the property include a carriage house, smoke house, and warehouse (National Register, p. 2).
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1982
Photographs, architectural overview
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- J. Russell Cross, Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 1985)
Order Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley