- Location Eutawville, St. John's Berkeley Parish, Orangeburg County
11786 Old No. Highway 6
- Origin of name Named for Joseph de St. Julien
- Other names ?
- Current status Farm that has been operated by the Norris family for over 100 years (4).
- 1736 Earliest known date of existence (4)
Joseph de St. Julien received a Kings Grant (4).
- Circa 1854 House built
It is believed Thomas William Porcher built the house at St. Julien Plantation for his son Julias Theodore Porcher (1, p. 2).
- Circa 1926 Frederick Keating Norris Sr. was owner and worked to rehabilitate the house (1, p. 5).
- 1980 Fred K. Norris Jr. was owner (1, p. 1).
- ? Robert Norris became owner (4).
- Number of acres 1,500 in 1860; 1,027 in 1980 (1, p. 3 and p. 5)
- Primary crop Historically, cotton and corn. Today, peanuts and peaches ((1, p. 3 and 4).
- Alphabetical list Gaillard; Frederick Keating Norris Sr. (1926); Fred K. Norris Jr. (1980); Robert Norris (?-present, 2013); Julias Theodore Porcher (1854); Joseph de St. Julien (1736-?)
- Number of slaves 121 in 1860 (1, p. 3)
- The plantation house is L-shaped of two-stories with a one-story wing on the west. In 1980, original outbuildings including a mule barn, kitchen, and smokehouse were still standing (1, p. 2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1980
Photographs, architectural overview
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Maxwell Clayton Orvin, Historic Berkeley County, South Carolina: 1671-1900 (Self published, 1973)
Order Historic Berkeley County, South Carolina: 1671-1900
- St. Julien Plantation - Click here
- St. Julien Plantation
11786 Old No. Hwy 6
Eutawville, SC 29048
Website: Click here