- Location Eastover, Richland County
1992 Congaree Road, across from McEntire Air National Gaurd Base
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Weston House, Weston Home at Grovewood
- Current status Privately owned, not open to the public; pecan farm
The plantation was listed for sale with asking price of $694,900.00 as of February 2014. View the real estate listing and virtual tour.
— Entrance Hall of Grovewood Plantation © MaryAnna Disher, 2011 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- ? Earliest known date of existence is not certain. Two theories exist of when the house was built.
- 1765 or 1800 House built
Theory two: William Weston II built the house about 1800 and his son made several improvements to the house. (1, p. 2).
- 2011 Grovewood has remained in the Weston family (1, p. 2).
- Number of slaves ?
- The main house is 3,800 square feet and has been restored. There is also a 1,600 square foot addition house on the property (3).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1986
Photographs, architectural overview
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- Real estate listing contributed by MaryAnna Disher
- Information contributed by Margaret M. R. Eastman, who discovered this information while researching her family, from:
Virginia Meynard, The History of Lower Richland County and Its Early Planters, (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 2010)
More about Richland County
- Learn more about Richland County, including the historic city of Columbia SC. We have helpful guides to Columbia SC history and Columbia SC libraries and museums – plus Columbia SC restaurants, Columbia SC hotels, and Columbia SC real estate.