Millwood Plantation Columbia Richland County
- Location Columbia, Richland County
6100 Garner's Ferry Road, directly across from Shoppes at Woodhill/Target
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
- Circa 1817 Earliest known date of existence
Wade Hampton II married Ann Fitzsimons. Hampton II had been helping to manage his father's large land holdings including Woodlands Plantation. It is believed that Millwood was split off from Woodlands with today's Garners Ferry Road being the dividing line, Millwood to the north and Woodlands on the south (3, p. 421).
- 1830s House was built by Nathaniel P. Potter for Wade Hampton II. Potter also built Hampton's sister, Susan Manning's house Millford Plantation (1, p. 2).
- 1858 Wade Hampton II died leaving the plantation to his four, unmarried daughters (1, p. 2).
- 1865 The plantation house was destroyed by fire during General Sherman's occupation of Columbia in February.
Five columns and one wall were all that remain of the original house (1, p. 2).
- 1970 Frank Hampton, great-grandson of Wade Hampton II, was owner of record (1, p. 1).
- Number of slaves ?
- There is currently a house at Millwood and is the third home to be built on the property (1, p. 2).
- In 2007, there was a cottage and guest house in addition to the main house (4).
- The original wine-house was still standing in 1970. At that time, there were also ruins of other buildings such as a smoke house and stable (1, p. 2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1970
Photographs, architectural overview
- Millwood Plantation Ruins: Click here
- Walter Edgar, editor,The South Carolina Encyclopedia
(Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 2006)
- Historic Millwood Plantation Hosts President Bush (Columbia, SC: WLTX, Nov 2, 2007) - source no longer available online