Special thanks to Julian Adams II and Margaret F Curtis for providing much of the information on this page.
- Location Eastover, Richland County
Located at 427 Adams Hayne Road, Eastover, on US 378 southeast of Columbia
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Magnolia
- Current status Privately owned. A garden and nursery business operates on the plantation and in 2014, the house is to be opened for tours and special events (5).
- 1760 Earliest known date of existence when Joel Adams was issued a land grant fron the fork of the Congaree and Wateree rivers to Cedar Creek (2 and 3).
- 1854 House built (4).
Isaac Tucker, a wealthy planter, built the house at Wavering Place as a wedding present for his daughter Mrs. Fannie Tucker Hopkins. Fannie called her home Magnolia Plantation.
- ? Magnolia was lost in a bet by Fannie's son, Edward Hopkins, to James Pickett Adams after the Civil War. Hopkins had pledged 50 slaves to cover a $34,000 gambling debt. Since slaves were no longer considered property, the issue of substituting other property for the slaves was taken to the South Carolina Supreme Court. The court declared in 1869 that real property must be used for debt repayment as freed slaves could no longer be owned. Edward Hopkins owned Magnolia and Minerva plantations at the time and Magnolia was turned over to James Pickett Adams. Family lore suggests the plantation became known as "Wavering Place" after Adams took position as its ownership was in doubt (3).
James Pickett Adams also owned nearby Beulah Plantation (now the site of McEntire Air National Guard Base) (3).
- ? James' daughter, Elizabeth 'Lillah' Adams, inherited the plantation from her father. She was married to Theodore Brevard Hayne (3 and 4).
- ? Elizabeth passed Wavering Place to her son Dr. James Adams Hayne (4).
- ? Lillah Adams Hayne would be the next family member to own the plantation. She inherited Wavering Place along with two other family plantations, Beulah and Minerva (3).
Minerva Plantation was sold during The Depression to raise funds to be able to keep the other two properties. Beulah Plantation was taken by the government during World War II to build what is now McEntire Joint National Guard Base (3).
- ? Lillah Adams Hayne left all her holdings to her children, with son Adams Hayne to occupy Wavering Place (3).
- ? Wavering Place was sold to Dr. Julian Adams keeping it in the same family since its founding. When it was sold, the funds were distributed among Lillah's heirs (3).
- ? Dr. Julian Adams' nephews, Robert and Weston Adams, became owners of the house. In 2014, they plan to open the house for tours and special events (5).
- Chronological list Joel Adams (1760-?); Fannie Hopkins; James Pickett Adams; Elizabeth 'Lillah' Adams Hayne; Dr. James Adams Hayne; Lillah Adams Hayne; Dr. Julian Adams; Robert and Weston Adams
- Number of slaves 50 under Edward Hopkins (3)
- Greek Revival house and outbuildings that has been restored (1).
References & Resources
- Wavering Place Gardens and Nursery: Click here
- Laura Jervey Hopkins, Lower Richland Planters: Hopkins, Adams, Weston, and Related Families of South Carolina, (Self published, 1976)
- Information contributed by Margaret Curtis
- Information contributed by Julian Adams II
- Information contributed by Lisa Boykin Adams
- Wavering Place Plantation
427 Adams Hayne Road
Eastover, SC 29044
More about Richland County
- Learn more about Richland County, including the historic city of Columbia SC. We have helpful guides to Columbia SC history and Columbia SC libraries and museums – plus Columbia SC restaurants, Columbia SC bed & breakfasts, Columbia SC hotels, and Columbia SC real estate.