- Location Southwestern Saluda County
Fruit Hill Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Marsh-Johnson House, Robert Johnson House
- Current status Saluda County Historical Society owns the house and is working towards restoring it for use as a museum (2)
- 1773 Earliest known date of existence (1, p. 2)
Ogden Cockroft received a royal grant for 300 acres (1, p. 2)
- 1804 Bryan Marsh purchased the property from Cockroft (1, p. 2)
- Circa 1817 House built (1, p. 2)
- 1846 Josiah Howell was documented to be the owner (1, p. 2).
- 1846 It is believed Isaac Johnson purchased the plantation in this year from Josiah Howell (1, p. 2).
- 1938 The plantation stayed in the Johnson family until this year when it was purchased by John Henry Hazel (1, p. 2).
- 1978 Hazel deeded the house and 62 acres to his granddaughter Virginia T. Witt (1, p. 2).
- 1990 Virginia T. Witt gave one acre and the house to the Saluda County Historical Society (2).
- Chronological list Ogden Cockroft (1773-1804); Bryan Marsh (1804-?); Josiah Howell (?-1846); Isaac Johnson (1846-?); John Henry Hazel (1938-?); Virginia T. Witt (1978-1990); Saluda County Historical Society (1990-present, 2012)
- Number of slaves 18 in 1810 (1, p. 2)
- Two-story house of log construction with weatherboard (1, p. 2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1982
Photographs, architectural overview
- Saluda County Historical Society information
– 2011 article - includes pictures
- Saluda County Historical Society
105 Law Range
Saluda, SC 29138
- Telephone: 864-445-8550
Website: Click here