Mountain Shoals Plantation Enoree Spartanburg County
— Mountain Shoals Plantation © Bill Fitzpatrick, 2014 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Enoree, Ninety Six District, Spartanburg County
Located at the junction of US 221 and Parker Road (1, p. 1, 7, 8)
- Origin of name For the shoals in the Enoree River near the house (3)
- Other names James Nesbitt House (1, p. 1)
- Current status Privately owned
- 1750 Earliest known date of existence
Land grant to James Meador from King George III
- 1817 Daniel McKee received a land grant from the state and operated a mill near Mountain Shoals (1, p. 3).
It is believed Daniel McKee constructed the house
- 1823 McKee lost the property to a sheriff's sale (1, p. 3).
- 1828 Starling Tucker was the owner.
- 1834 James Rhodes owned the plantation.
- 1836 James Nesbitt and Leonard Hill purchased the property. The men were co-owners of the South Carolina Manufacturing Company (1, p. 3).
- 1837 James Nesbitt became sole owner of Mountain Shoals (1, p. 3).
- 1838 House built (3)
James Nesbitt had the house constructed that still stands today.
- 1875 James Nesbitt died leaving the plantation to his widow Caroline Brewton Nesbitt (1, p. 3).
- 1877 Caroline Brewton Nesbitt sold the plantation to James L. Hill, the son of Leonard Hill (1, p. 3).
- 1924 The house was owned and occupied by the Hill family until this year when it was purchased by a local pharmacist, Dr. William H. Irby (1, p. 3).
- 1973 The Irby family left the plantation to the Enoree Methodist Church.
- 1975 Frank Coleman and Martin Meek purchased the property and restoration began (1, p. 3).
- Number of acres 3,300 in 1850 with 500 under cultivation; 3,010 in 1860 with 2,000 under cultivation; 2.75 in 2013 (3)
- Primary crops Indian corn, rye, oats (3)
- Number of slaves 19 in 1850; 27 in 1860 (3)
- The house is two-stories of framed construction which rests on a brick foundation. There are eight granite pillars supporting the structure. Also on the property is a circa 1815 log cabin that had been on a neighboring property and moved to Mountain Shoals (1, p. 2, 5).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1979
Photographs, architectural overview
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Information contributed by Martin Meek