- Location St. Mark's Parish, Sumter County
Located near Stateburg
- Origin of name Named after Acton Park, England by Cleland Kinloch
- Other names ?
- Current status
- 1807 Earliest known date of existence
Cleland Kinloch purchased land from Thomas Sumter who was probably the original owner of the property (Neuffer, bk. 2, vol. 14, p. 24).
It was at Acton that the first joggling board was made.
- 1823 Francis Kinloch, brother to Cleland, was in possession of the plantation.
- 1837 The Kinloch heirs sold the plantation to Samuel E. Nelson of Clarendon.
- 1852 Samuel E. Nelson died. He left the plantation to be divided amongst his sons after his wife's death.
Apparently she lived a long life. In 1884, she gave part of the plantation to one of her sons, Patrick Henry Nelson (Neuffer, bk. 2, vol. 14, p. 24).
- ? Harriett Horry Ravenel owned the plantation.
- ? Dr. George W. Dick purchased the property from Harriett Horry Ravenel.
- 1906 Colonel John J. Dargan bought the plantation from Dr. Dick. He used the house as a school known as the General Sumter Memorial Academy.
Theodosia Dargan Plowden wrote in a pamphlet about the Academy that the house needed very little remodeling to adapt it to school purposes (Neuffer, bk. 2, vol. 14, p. 24).
- 1911 The house burned down while still the Academy. Colonel Dargan's daughter, Gena Dargan Rodgers bought Acton (Nicholes).
- 1967 The plantation was owned by John Rodgers, Gina Rodger's son.
- Alphabetical list Colonel John J. Dargan; Dr. George W. Dick; Cleland Kinloch; Francis Kinloch; Samuel E. Nelson; Samuel W. and Patrick Henry Nelson; Harriett Horry Ravenel; Gena Dargan Rodgers; John Rodgers; Thomas Sumter
- Number of slaves ?
- Theodosia Dargan Plowden, daughter of Colonel Dargan, wrote in a pamphlet a description of the house:
"A stately house of ample proportions, a basement, two stories, and an attic, with wide verandas on both of the two main floors at front and rear. One entered into a wide hall surrounded by rooms, chief of which was the `drawing room.' From the hall a staircase of graceful proportions led to a gallery around which were bedrooms, and from which another stairway led to the attic" (Neuffer, bk. 2, vol. 14, p. 25).
- Claude Henry Neuffer (editor), Names in South Carolina, 1943-1983 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company).
- Cassie Nicholes, Historical Sketches of Sumter County: Its Birth and Growth (Sumter, SC: Sumter County Historical Commission, 1975).
- Telephone: ?