- Location Cross Keys, Union County
On a high hill west of Cross Keys near the Spartanburg County line (1, p. 65)
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- Prior to 1790 House built
Judge John Faucheraud Grimké built a summer house he called Belmont. The bricks used in its construction were of poor quality and the "walls disintegrated" (1, p. 65).
- 1838 On January 1, James Lambright purchased approximately 300-400 acres of land from Mary S. Grimké, John's daughter, for $1,200.00 (2).
- 1842 Lambright built a large two-story house. He continuted to call his plantation Belmont (2).
- Circa 1860 The Dillards purchased Belmont (2).
- Chronological list Judge John Faucheraud Grimké (?); Mary S. Grimké (?-1838); James Lambright (1838-?); Dillard (Circa 1860-?)
- Number of slaves ?
Lore claims Belmont's slaves were afraid of the house at night because of the many trees that surrounded it (2).
- The house built by Grimké was of poor construction and deteriorated (1, p. 65).
- Lambright built a two-story house on the property in 1842. This house was still standing in the late 1950s (2).
References & Resources
- Allan D. Charles, Narrative History of Union County South Carolina
(Greenville, SC: A PRESS Printing Company, 1997)
Order Narrative History of Union County South Carolina
- Information contributed by Grant Hayter-Menzies, some of which came from a newspaper article by Carl May published in the Spartanburg Journal and Herald on April 5, 1955.