Cross Keys Plantation Cross Keys Union County
- Location Cross Keys, Ninety Six District, Union County
Located at the intersection of SC 49 and Road 22, 10 miles southwest of the City of Union
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Cross Keys House
- Current status ?
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- 1812-1814 House built by Barrum Bobo 1, p. 2).
- 1865 Jefferson Davis, along with the Confederate cabinet and his military escort, lunched at Cross Keys on April 30th while traveling through the area (2r).
- Chronological list Barrum Bobo (1812), Mrs. Mary Whitmire Davis (1865), William Claude Wilburn (1971)
- Number of slaves ?
- House was constructed with common bond brick in the Georgian Colonial style (1, p. 2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1971
Photographs, architectural overview
- SC Highway Historical Marker Guide - online database by the SC Department of Archives & History
- Allan D. Charles, Narrative History of Union County South Carolina
(Greenville, SC: A PRESS Printing Company, 1997)
Order Narrative History of Union County South Carolina