Flint Hill Plantation Goshen Hill Union County
— Flint Hill Plantation © Michael Mascari, 2016 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Goshen Hill, Union County
SC Highway 72
- Origin of name For the large hill of flint the plantation's house is located on (1, p. 301)
- Other names Rice-Coleman-Jeter Plantation (1, p. 302)
- Current status Privately owned (5)
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- Circa 1790 House built (3)
Capt. Glenn constructed a house (3)
- Circa 1831 Capt. Glenn died. Reuben Sims and Agatha Bullock Nuckolls Morgan Rice purchased the plantation from the Glenn heirs. Sims is the one that first called the plantation Flint Hill (1, p. 301).
- Circa 1832 Reuben Rice built a larger, Greek Revival house and the house built by Capt. Glenn was most likely used as a kitchen or slave quarters (3).
- 1988 William B. Jeter, great-great-great grandson of Reuben and Agatha Rice, inherited Flint Hill Plantation and restored the grand house (1, p. 302).
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- Bettye B. Burkhalter, Daring Pioneers Tame the Frontier: The Generation That Built America
(Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse, 2010)
- Allan D. Charles, Narrative History of Union County South Carolina
(Greenville, SC: A PRESS Printing Company, 1997)
Order Narrative History of Union County South Carolina
- Traveling the Historical Trail (Union, SC: The Union Daily Times, December 18, 2011)
- Charles Warner, Three Join Historical Society's Board of Directors - PDF, (Union, SC: The Union Daily Times, March 2, 2012)
- Information contributed by Michael Mascari.