- Location Goshen Hill, Union County
Original plantation lands were located south of SC 72 off Maybinton Road close to the Newberry County line.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Walking trails and campsites have been developed and are open to the public.
- 1774 Earliest known date of existence
John Rogers built a house on the property.
- 1820s Another John Rogers (not sure yet how he's related to the first) owned the plantation and began to grow cotton. He also operated a general store on the property for smaller farmers in the area ( Charles, p. 93 ).
- 1838 John Rogers died, but it is not known who owned the plantation after him ( Charles, p. 94 ).
- 1860s J.E. Sherman carved a fountain from the granite-lined spring that provided water to the plantation. The spring became known as Jew's Harp Spring because the shape resembled that of a Jew's harp. Sherman was a Union soldier who was convalescing in the area ( Charles, p. 93 ).
- 1929 House was destroyed by a tornado. Only scattered bricks remain visible today.
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop Cotton
- Alphabetical list John Rogers, John Rogers
- Number of slaves ?
- Allan D. Charles, The Narrative History of Union County (Greenville, SC: A PRESS Printing Company, 1997).