- Location Tyger River, Union County
Original plantation lands were located west of Union off SC 49 in the vicinity of Blackstock Road, Battlefield Road, and Monument Road.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Bike trails and camping sites have been developed and are open to the public.
- 1766 Earliest known date of existence
150 acres on the south side of the Tyger River granted to John Irvin on September 26, 1766 (4).
- ? House built
- 1770 Irvin conveyed the property to William Blackstock on August 8 (4).
- 1780 A great Revolutionary War battle, the Battle of Blackstocks Plantation, was fought here on November 20. General Sumter defeated General Tarlton (2).
- 1974 Canal Wood Corporation was owner of record (2).
- Number of acres 150 in 1766 (4)
- Primary crop Tobacco (2)
- William Blackstock is buried on the land.
- Chronological list John Irvin (1766-1770); William Blackstock, Sr (1770-?); Canal Wood Corporation (1974)
- Number of slaves ?
- Blackstock had a house and tobacco barn on the property (2).
References & Resources
- Battle of Blackstocks Plantation: Click here
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1974
Photographs, architectural overview
- SC Highway Historical Marker Guide - online database by the SC Department of Archives & History
- Abstracted by Jesse Hogan Motes III and Margaret Peckham Motes, SC Memorials: Abstracts of Land Titles Vol 1 - 1774-1776, p. 89