- Location Carlisle, Union County
Located at 3435 Santuc-Carlisle Highway (SC 215)
- Origin of name Named to reflect its natural woodland setting (1, p. 12)
- Other names James T. Jeter House (1, p. 1)
- Current status Privately owned. Property can be rented for special occasions.
- 1850 Earliest known date of existence
- 1850 House was built (1, p. 5)
The house was under construction in 1850 3.5 miles away from where it stands now. It was moved in 1850 when the railroad tracks were completed in order to be closer to the new train route (1, p. 5).
- 1894 Catherine Jeter died leaving the plantation to her son Dr. James Thomas Jeter, Jr (1, p. 13).
- ? Dr. Jeter's sister, Mary Elizabeth "Bessie" Jeter and her husband, James "Jimmie" Parhan Jeter, lived in nearby Santuc. Wanting to be closer to his patients, Dr. Jeter traded Woodland Plantation with his sister and brother-in-law for their house. This transfer was recorded on one of Dr. Jeter
s prescription pads (1, p. 13).
- 1920s James and Mary Elizabeth's sons, Hugh, John Mobley and James T. Jeter, inherited Woodland from their parents and operated a dairy farm on the property until 1957 (1, p. 13).
- 1957 A fourth brother, Douglas Jeter, retired to Woodland in the same year the dairy farm was closed (1, p. 13).
- ? James Jeter Easley, great-grandnephew of Rev. James T. Jeter, acquired the property (1, p. 13).
- 1996 Drs. Allen P. and Elaine K. Jeter purchased Woodland from Easley and began to restore the house. Dr. Allen Jeter's great-grandfather was a nephew of Rev. Jeter (1, pp. 8, 14).
- Number of acres 3,000 originally; more than 1,700 in 1860; 450 in 2001 (1, pp. 3, 5, 13)
- Primary crop Cotton traditionally and dairy in the 1920s-1950s (1, p. 13)
- Chronological list Reverend James Thomas and Catherine Elizabeth Mobley Jeter (1850-1894); Dr. James Thomas Jeter, Jr (1894-?); James Parhan and Mary Elizabeth Jeter (?-circa 1920); Hugh, John Mobley and James T. Jeter (circa 1920-1957); James Jeter Easley (?-1996); Drs. Allen P. and Elaine K. Jeter (1996-present, 2013)
- Number of slaves 300 (2)
- The property includes several outbuildings and structures which were construction from 1850 up to about 1950. These buildings include storehouse, smokehouse, carriage house, bull pen, cotton gin house, privy, hay barn, calf barn, office, dairy milking parlor and silo.(1, p. 5)
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 2001
Photographs, architectural overview
- Information contributed by John Joseph Howell.