Coggins Point Plantation Hilton Head Island Beaufort County
— Coggins Point Plantation 1863 • Library of Congress —
(Prints & Photographs Division 2010651623)
- 1762 Earliest known date of existence (3)
Edmund Ellis and Samuel Green, jointly, were given a royal grant. Edmund Ellis took a portion with Samuel Green retaining the rest which he called Colgins Point (1, p. 415) (3).
- 1767 Samuel Green's will leaves Colgins Point to his daughters Susannah Green and Sarah Green Tucker (1, p. 415).
- ? Sarah Green Tucker became sole owner of the plantation after the death of her sister (1, p. 415).
- 1785 Sarah Green Tucker, now widowed, married William Pope. They had one son together, William Pope Jr, who was known as "Squire" William Pope, inherited Coggins Point Plantation in the early 1800s (1, p. 415).
- 1806 House built by "Squire" William Pope (2).
- ? "Squire" William Pope gave Coggins Point to his son, William John Pope (1, p. 415).
- 1852 William John Pope died leaving two orphaned daughters. The girls' uncle, Joseph J. Pope Jr., took over management of the plantation for his nieces (1, p. 415).
- 1861 The Union Army occupied Coggins Point Plantation, which the Pope family had left unused since 1859, and the house became the chief quartermaster's office and the telegraph station (1, p. 416) (2).
- 1927 Coggins Point remained a military reservation, Fort Walker and Fort Sherman, until the Secretary of War sold it for $12,600. Weiss may have been purchaser (1, p. 416) (3).
- 1931 Landon K. Thorne and Alfred L. Loomis acquired Coggins Point (3).
- Number of acres 806 in 1816 (3)
- Primary crop Sea Island cotton (2)
- Number of slaves Approximately 200 in the mid-1800s (2)
References & Resources
- Richard Porcher and Sarah Fick, The Story of Sea Island Cotton (Layton, Utah: Gibbs Smith, 2005)
- Dana E. Byrd with Tyler DeAngelis, Tracing Transformations: Hilton Head Island's Journey to Freedom, 1860-1865
- Heritage Library of Hilton Head Island
More about Beaufort County