Pagett's Landing Plantation Berkeley County
- Location Cooper River, Berkeley County
- Origin of name Named for an early owner of property that became Brabant Plantation for which Pagett's Landing Plantation was developed from
- Other names Brickyard Landing (1, p. 69) (2)
- Current status ?
- Circa 1801 Earliest known date of existence (3, p. 30)
- ? House built
- 1828 Col. John Gordon purchased Pagett's Landing from the Estate of Thomas Allan. Gordon became a very well known brick manufacturer at Pagett's Landing and his neighboring Moreland Plantation. This plantation became knows as Brickyard Landing during Gordon's ownership (1, p. 69) (2) (3, p. 30).
- 1835 Col. John Gordon died and his plantations became owned by his widow Jane Burgess Gordon (3, p. 30).
- 1840 Former South Carolina Governor Thomas Bennett, Jr. married Jane Burgess Gordon and Pagett's Landing Plantation became under his ownership (3, p. 30).
- 1852 Dr. Edmund Ravenel purchased Pagett's Landing Plantation from Gov. Bennett. This same year, Dr. Ravenel also bought Moreland Plantation from Bennett as well as the bulk of Brabant Plantation (1, p. 69) (2) (3, p. 30).
- Number of acres 1,317 in 1801 (3, p. 30)
- Primary crop Brick manufacturing (1, p. 69) (2) (3, p. 30)
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- J. Russell Cross, Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 1985)
Order Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley
- History of Brabant Plantation: Click here
- Henry A. M. Smith, South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine (January 1917 edition)