Tiverton Lawn Plantation Santee Circle Berkeley County
- Location Santee Circle, St. John's Berkeley Parish, Berkeley County
Located off US 52, a few miles north of Moncks Corner
The plantation was originally situated on Biggin Creek.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Tibbekudlaw, Tippycutlow, Tuppycutlaw, Tippy Cutlow, Tippycop Law, Tippicophaw
All of these variations are of Native American origin and mean "Shady Place."
- Current status Part of the land was flooded due to the Santee Cooper Hydroelectric and Navigation Project. The rest of the property is still owned by the Weeks family.
- 1683 Earliest known date of existence
This plantation was originally part of Wadboo Barony granted to James Colleton.
- 1782 The Wadboo Barony was confiscated by the Patriots due to the Colletons being loyal to England. The property was divided into 24 tracts of 500 acres each and sold.
- 1783 Lots 21 and 22 were sold to Dr. James Brown and became known as Tippycutlaw Plantation (1, p. 43).
- 1800 The construction of the Santee Canal cut through the property.
- 1805 The plantation was purchased by Philip Porcher. He changed the name to Tiverton Lawn.
- 1817 House built
- ? The plantation was sold to C.C. Pinckney and Edward Rutledge (1, p. 43).
- ? Philip Porcher bought the plantation. He also owned Lots 11 and 12 and merged them with Tippycutlaw (1, p. 43).
- 1839 Solomon Clark purchased the plantation after the death of Philip Porcher. At this time the plantation became known as Tiverton Lawn (1, p. 43).
- 1861 Joseph Christian Weeks purchased the plantation. It consisted of about 2,233 acres.
He described the house as "three stories on a full room size basement, dormer windows, brick flight of stairs to porch, winding brick banisters, mahogany, slender stair rail to floors above. Walls ornamented with plaster molding of fanciful shapes and designs. Moldings of allegorical figures."
- 1861-1865 The house burned during the Civil War. It is not known if the house burned as a result of the war or from misfortune. The family moved into an older house on the property. The house still stands today but in disrepair.
A map dated 1865 shows the plantation as consisting of 2,233 acres.
In 1865, a confederate soldier was left to die at the gates of the plantation. The Weeks family took him in and cared for him until he died. He is buried in their family cemetery.
His grave stone reads:
William Henry Weld
Dec. 27, 1844 - March 3, 1865
A confederate soldier of Homer, Ga. left delirious and dying at the avenue gate to Tippicophaw Plantation. Found and cared for by the Weeks family until death released his brave soul from suffering.
- ? Jacob Lowndes (Laurence) Weeks owned the plantation. He eventually divided the acreage among his children.
- ? George Herbert Weeks was in possession of the plantation. He divided the acreage among his children.
- 1970s George Elliott Weeks owned the plantation. He built a house on the property and operated a small cattle business.
- Number of acres 1,000 in 1783; 2,233 in 1865
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list Ball; Dr. James Brown; Solomon Clark (1839-?); James Colleton (1683-?); John Colleton; Moultrie; C.C. Pinckney; Philip Porcher (1805-?); Edward Rutledge; George Elliott Weeks (1970s); Jacob Lowndes (or Laurence) Weeks; Joseph Christian Weeks (1861-?)
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- J. Russell Cross, Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 1985)
Order Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley