Oak Grove Plantation St Matthews Calhoun County
- Location St. Matthews, St. Matthews Parish, Calhoun County
Original plantation lands were located off US 176 near intersection of SC Highway 6 approximately 2.5 miles west of St. Matthews.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names David Houser Home
- Current status Privately owned
- ? Earliest known date of existence
Andrew Houser, Jr. acquired the property and bequeathed it to his son, David Houser.
- 1829 House built (1, p. 2)
David Houser constructed a two-story wood frame house. The house has been altered many times over the years (1, p. 2).
- 1876 David Houser died and left the plantation to his wife Ellen Vermelle Houser (1, p. 2-3).
- 1930s R. Waldo Banks, grandon of David Houser, owned Oak Grove (1, p. 2).
- 1980 David Houser Banks, Sr and Trustees of the Houser and Banks Cemetery owned Oak Grove Plantation (1, p. 5).
— Outbuilding at Oak Grove Plantation © Ann Helms, 2015 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Number of acres 500 in early 1800s; 4,800 in 1860 (1, p. 3)
- Primary crop Corn, cotton, rice, sweet potatoes (1, p. 3)
- The Houser and Banks Cemetery is located at the plantation (1, p. 5).
- Number of slaves 54 in 1860 (1, p. 3)
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1980
Photographs, architectural overview
- Daniel Marchant Culler, Orangeburgh District, 1768-1868: History and Records (Spartanburg, SC: The Reprint Company, 1995), pp. 141-142.
Order Orangeburgh District, 1768-1868: History and Records