Bulow Plantation Red Top Charleston County
- Location Rantowles Creek, Red Top, Charleston County
Located off US 17
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Savannah Plantation under the ownership of John Drayton (2)
- Current status Residential development with Ducks Unlimited Conservation Easement with the County of Charleston owning part of the land and operating it as Bulow County Park (2)
- 1700s Earliest known date of existence
John Drayton was the plantation's first owner. He called the plantation Savannah (2)
- 1818 John Joachim Bulow purchased the plantation plus adjacent land on Rantowle's Creek. He would rename the plantation Bulow Plantation (2).
- 1860 The plantation remained in the Bulow family until the death of Thomas Lehre Bulow in 1860 when it was abandoned (2).
- 1867 Property sold to to William L. Bradley (2).
Bradley owned a fertilizer factory in Boston and used the land of Bulow Plantation as a washing station. He also ran a store, called Bulow Store, that served the employees of his mine. Special tokens were issued to purchase items from the store. Bulow ceased mining operations after the earthquate of 1886 (2).
- 1894 William L. Bradley died leaving the land to Peter and Robert, his two sons (2).
- Mid 1990s Property leased for farm use (2).
- 2003 650 acres purchased by Bulow Land Company LLC with 250 acres deemed as a Ducks Unlimited conservation easement (2).
- Number of acres 650 in 2003
- Primary crop Rice and corn (2)
- Chronological list John Drayton, John Joachim Bulow (1818-?), Thomas Lehre Bulow (?-1860), Peter and Robert Bradley (1894-?), Bulow Land Company LLC (2003-present); Charleston County
- Number of slaves ?
- Bulow Store operated on site of former plantation c. 1870s; served mining employees
References & Resources
- Bulow Landing: Click here
- History of Bulow Plantation: Click here
- William L. Bradley's Bulow Store 10 Cents Token
- Jason Hardin, Bulow Plantation Grants Easement (Post & Courier Newspaper: February 10, 2004) - source no longer available online
- The Lake House at Bulow
926 Hughes Road
Johns Island, SC 29455
Website: Click here