Dixon's Island Plantation
Dixon's Island Charleston County
- Location Dixon's Island, St. Andrew's Parish, Charleston County
Dixon's Island is adjacent to James Island.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- May 25, 1862 Affair (minor combat action)
"Confederate gunboat under command of Captain F.N. Bonneau, guarding the bridge between James and Dixon Islands, Charleston harbor, exchanged fire with Union gunboats. Captain Bonneau claimed several hits on the gunboats" ( US Naval History Division ).
- January 3, 1863 Owner William H. Taylor appeared before Magistrate M.E. Rivers to claim property losses resulting from Union occupation in June of 1862 ( read full testimony ).
- June 21, 1863 Affair (minor combat action)
- Alphabetical list William H. Taylor (c. 1863)
- Number of slaves ?
- Prior to June 1862, a house, kitchen, corn house, and dairy existed on the property ( Statement of Losses ).
- Statement of Losses - William H. Taylor's 1863 oath regarding losses sustained at Dixon's Island