Oaks Plantation Johns Island Charleston County
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- 1816 Benjamin Roper owned the plantation (2, p. 99).
- 1843 Benjamin Dart Roper willed The Oaks to his son Dr. Micah Jenkins Roper. Dr. Roper and his wife resided at The Oaks (2, p. 100).
- 1860 Dr. Micah Jenkins Roper died leaving the plantation to his wife Susan and their children. Susan continued to farm The Oaks with the help of her husband's brother acting as manager (2, p. 100).
- 1897 Susan E. Roper and her two children sold the plantation to Francis Y. Legare for $3,200. He folded it into Mullet Hall Plantation (2, p. 100).
- Number of acres 660 in 1897
- Primary crop Corn and cotton
- Number of slaves 119 in 1860 (2, p. 100)
References & Resources
- Layton Wayne Jordan and Elizabeth H. Stringfellow, A Place Called St. John's (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1998)
- Cultural Resources Survey of Mullet Hall Plantation, Johns Island, Charleston County, SC - by the Chicora Foundation - PDF