Pine Barren Plantation Edisto Island Charleston County
- Location Store Creek, Edisto Island, St. John's Colleton Parish, Charleston County
- Origin of name Named for the longleaf pine "flatwoods" that had been on Edisto Island (1, p. 135)
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- 1703 Earliest known date of existence (1, p. 135)
Lawrence Dennis received a grant for 234 acres (1, p. 135).
- ? House built
- 1730 Lawrence Dennis sold the property to Edward Rippon (1, p. 135).
- ? Joseph Seabrook Jr. became owner of Edward Rippon's property (2, p. 172).
- 1790 Joseph Seabrook Jr. died and son Issac Seabrook became owner of the plantation (2, p. 172).
- 1798 Issac Seabrook died leaving Pine Barren to his brother-in-law, Thomas Whaley III, who was the widower of his sister Mary Ann Seabrook Whaley (2, p. 172).
- 1805 Thomas Whaley III passed away. Joseph Whaley was just 17 when he inherited Pine Barren Plantation from his father (1, p. 135) (2, p. 172).
- 1862 The United States Government confiscated many South Carolina plantations during the Civil War including Pine Barren (3, p. 73).
- 1865 Colonel Joseph Whaley petitioned the court for the return of Pine Barren Plantation which was 600 acres at the time. In May 1866, the court issued a certificate of ownership to Whaley (3, p. 73).
- 1872 Joseph Whaley passed away. Most of the property was sold by the Whaley heirs but the house did remain in the family (2, p. 172) (3, p. 140).
- 1930s The Whaley house was lost in a suspicious fire. A farmhouse was rebuilt at the site and retained the Pine Barren name (3, p. 140).
- Late 1990s Beth Grimball Mayer, a descendant of Colonel Joseph Whaley, acquired the house, restored and modernized it (3, p. 140).
- Number of acres 234 in 1703; 2,600 in early 1800s; 600 in 1865 (1, p. 135) (3, p. 73)
- Primary crop Sea Island Cotton
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- Information contributed by Sandra Coyle from:
Charles Spencer, Edisto Island, 1663 to 1860 (Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2008)
- Richard Porcher and Sarah Fick, The Story of Sea Island Cotton (Layton, Utah: Gibbs Smith, 2005)
- Charles Spencer, Edisto Island, 1861 to 2006: Ruin, Recovery and Rebirth (Definitive History)
(Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2008)