Ravenswood Plantation Johns Island Charleston County
— Oak Avenue at Ravenswood Plantation © Gazie Nagle —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Stono River, Johns Island, St. John's Colleton Parish, Charleston County
4667 Chisolm Road
- Origin of name By founder, John Raven Mathews
- Other names Raven's (2, pdf p. 169)
- Current status Privately owned
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
A brick house was constructed at Ravenswood.
- 1779 Ravenswood was owned by Captain Benjamin Mathews, grandson of founder John Raven Mathews. In May, British troops captured Mathews and fellow American troops that had been camped at the plantation, burning the brick house to the ground (2, pdf pp. 171-173).
- 1886 Ravenswood was owned by the heirs of Kinsey Burden (2, pdf pp. 173).
- 2009 Charles T. Minshew was owner of record (5).
- 2011 Dannie Barteet lived at Ravenswood and was farming the property. There was a two bedroom / two bath cottage on the 55 acre property (3) (4).
- 2016 James and Carol Lynn Nelms were owners of record (5).
- Number of slaves 87
- Slave cabins 9
References & Resources
- Layton Wayne Jordan and Elizabeth H. Stringfellow, A Place Called St. John's (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1998)
- Information contributed by Mary Stakias, a descendant of Mr. John Raven Mathews, from:
Eliza C. K. Fludd, Biographical Sketches Of The Huguenot Solomon Lagaré And Of His Family - large PDF, (Charleston, SC: Edward Perry & Co., Printers and Stationers, 1886)
- Teresa Taylor, Sod Farms Try To Outlast Housing Bust (Charleston, SC: The Post and Courier, May 10, 2011)
- Real Estate Listing
- Charleston County tax records.