Schieveling Plantation West Ashley Charleston County
— Schieveling Plantation © Gazie Nagle, 2014 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Ashley River, West Ashley, St. Andrew's Parish, Charleston County
Original plantation lands were located off Highway 61.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Skieveling (1, p. 25)
- Current status ?
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? Thomas Butler received 313 acres on the Ashley River (2, p. 12).
- 1746 Thomas Butler died. He left his land to his sons who both died without children. Elizabeth Butler, Thomas Butler's widow, somehow acquired the property (2, p. 13).
- 1793 Ralph Izard purchased the property. He resided on the plantation and referred to it as Schieveling. It was probably Izard who began to plant the avenue of oaks that could still be seen as of 1983 (2, p. 13). It is also believed Izard developed a grand garden (1, p. 25).
Sometime during Ralph Izard's ownership the house on the property was destroyed by fire.
- ? Thomas Middleton owned the property. From him it went to Dr. Charles Drayton to Joseph F. Bee and then to Henry A. Middleton, Esq. (2, p. 13).
- 1960s M.R. Hinkle purchased the property. They built a house and proceeded to restore some of the old gardens (2, p. 12).
- Number of acres 1,056 in 1826
- Primary crop ?
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- A Context For the Study of Lowcountry Gardens - PDF - Michael Trinkley and Debi Hacker, 2007, for the Chicora Foundation.
- Rosina Sottile Kennerty, Plantations on the South Side of Ashley River (Charleston, SC: The Nelson Printing Corporation, 1983)
Order Plantations on the South Side of Ashley River