Woodville Plantation McClellanville Charleston County
- Location South Santee River, McClellanville, St. James Santee Parish, Charleston County
Original plantation lands were located off South Santee Road, southeast of Wedge Plantation Road.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status The original lands are part of the Wedge Plantation owned by the University of South Carolina.
- ? Earliest known date of existence
Land originally granted to John Boone. It later passed into possession of Thomas Lynch.
- 1755 Thomas Lynch conveyed 119 acres to David Deas (Bridges & Williams, p. 312).
- ? Elizabeth Deas inherited the property from her father. She married Thomas Middleton.
- 1779 Thomas Middleton died. His estate was divided between his wife and daughter. His daughter, Mary, received Woodville (Linder & Thacker, p. 745).
- 1793 James Shoolbred acquired the property through marriage to Mary Middleton (Bridges & Williams, p. 128).
- 1847 James Shoolbred wrote a will devising Woodville to his only son, Dr. John Gibbes Shoolbred (Linder & Thacker, p. 745).
- 1860 Dr. John Gibbes Shoolbred advertised his plantation for sale. It is not known when it actually sold, but the next owners of the place were William Lucas and his wife, Mary Rachel Doar Lucas (Linder & Thacker, p. 746).
- 1886 Woodville was sold to Frederich Shears (Linder & Thacker, p. 746).
- 1887 Thomas W. Graham bought the place from Frederich Shears on October 20. He planted rice there (Bridges & Williams, p. 310).
- 1900 The house burned from a fire started in the kitchen fireplace (Bridges & Williams, p. 312).
- 1905 Thomas W. Graham died without a will. The property went to his children (Linder & Thacker, p. 746).
- 1922 The heirs of Thomas W. Graham sold Woodville to Sea View Realty Company (Bridges & Williams, p. 310).
- 1928 Sea View Realty Company conveyed it to Jack D. Leasemann (Bridges & Williams, p. 310).
- 1929 Jack D. Leasemann sold to Gerry Chadwick. At the same time Chadwick also purchased neighboring Wedge and Palo Alto plantations (Linder & Thacker, p. 746).
- 1966 Dr. and Mrs. Richard B. Dominick purchased Woodville which included Palo Alto and Wedge plantations. He also purchased Belleview Plantation, and called all of his property Wedge Plantation (Linder & Thacker, p. 746).
- 1976 Dr. Dominick died and the State of South Carolina purchased the Wedge. It became the University of South Carolina's International Center for Public Health Research. As of 2006 the Wedge is still owned by the University of South Carolina (Linder & Thacker, p. 742).
- Number of acres 119 in 1755
- Primary crop Rice
- Alphabetical list John Boone, Gerry Chadwick, David Deas, Dr. and Mrs. Richard B. Dominick, Thomas W. Graham, Jack D. Leasemann, William and Mary Rachel Doar Lucas, Thomas Lynch, Mary Middleton, Thomas and Elizabeth Deas Middleton, Sea View Realty Company, Frederich Shears, James Shoolbred, Dr. John Gibbes Shoolbred, University of South Carolina
- Number of slaves ?
- Anne Baker Leland Bridges and Roy Williams III, St James Santee Plantation Parish History and Records, 1685-1925, (Spartanburg, SC: The Reprint Company, Publishers, 1997).
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker (with preliminary research by Agnes Leland Baldwin), Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001).