Cockfield Plantation White Hall Colleton County
- Location Cuckolds Creek (a branch of the Combahee River), White Hall, St. Bartholomew's Parish, Colleton County
Located off White Hall Road (SC 119)
- Origin of name John Cockfield was an early owner.
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
- 1733 Earliest known date of existence
John Page was issued a grant for the property on April 5, 1733 (3, p. 143).
- ? John Andrew purchased the property from Page (3, p. 143).
- ? John's son, Israel Andrew, inherited the property from his father (3, p. 143).
- ? Mary Andrew Broadbelt, Israel's daughter, received the property upon her father's death (3, p. 143).
- 1759 John Cockfield purchased 419 acres from John Broadbelt, Mary's husband (3, p. 143).
- 1791 It is recorded Thomas Radcliffe owned Cockfield this year (3, p. 143).
- ? House built
There was a house at Cockfield during Radcliffe's ownership, but we don't know when the house was built. If you know, please tell us.
- 1806 Radcliffe died leaving Cockfield to his nephew, Thomas Radcliffe Sheppard (3, p. 143).
- 1814 Sheppard passed away leaving his holdings to be divided between his wife, Sophia Francis Perry Sheppard, and their only child, Sophia Francis Sheppard (3, p. 143).
- 1823 The Radcliffe heirs sought a division of the late Thomas Radcliffe's estate. Cockfield was auctioned off. Sophia Sheppard's husband, Alexander B. Wilson, purchased it for $10,000 (3, p. 143-144).
- 1840 Wilson died and the plantation once again belonged to Sophia Francis Sheppard Wilson, his wife (3, p. 144).
- Circa 1870 The executors of Sophia Francis Sheppard Wilson's estate divided the holdings. Cockfield was sold to J. Bennett Bissell (3, p. 144).
- ? Bissell didn't own the plantation very long as it was sold by the sheriff to C.H. Claussen due to a judgement levied against Bissell (3, p. 144).
- 1878 James Campbell purchased Cockfield from C.H. Claussen (3, p. 144).
- 1880 Campbell sold the plantation to Joseph Marvin (3, p. 144).
- ? Wilmot D. Porcher bought the property from Joseph Marvin (3, p. 144).
- 1896 Porcher passed Cockfield to Samuel L. Marvin (3, p. 144).
- 1902 A Victorian style farm house was built at Cockfield Plantation (4, p. 4)
- 1915 Duncan Clinch Heyward's Combahee Corporation was owner of record (3, p. 144).
- 1920s Cockfield passed back into the hands of the Marvin family (3, p. 144).
- 1990s Cockfield was still owned by the Marvin family (3, p. 144).
- 2002 Mr. and Mrs. Mark O'Brien owned the plantation and placed a conservation easement on the land through the Beaufort County Open Land Trust (4, p. 4).
- Number of acres 419 in 1759; 456¾ in 1823; 856 in 2002 (3, p. 143) (4, p. 4)
- Primary crop Rice
As of 2002, the rice mill, which was built around 1850 and moved to Cockfield Plantation in 1882, was still standing on the plantation and was reported to be the only mill constructed prior to the Civl War remaining in the Lowcountry (4, p. 4).
- Number of slaves 64 in 1806 (3, p. 143)
References & Resources
- Lucius G. Fishburne, Plantation Notes, St. Bartholomew's Parish, 1960, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Carolina W. Todd and Sidney Wait, South Carolina: A Day at a Time (Orangeburg, SC: Sandlapper Publishing Company, 2008)
- Suzanne Cameron Linder, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
(Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1995), pp. 143-144.
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
- Information contributed by Cyndi Shull from:
Lowcountry Open Land Trust Easements - PDF - SCDNR ACE Basin Newsletter, p. 4