Godfrey Plantation Ashepoo River Colleton County
- Location Ashepoo River, Colleton County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Shruberry
- Current status ?
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- 1874 David McPherson and James Gahagen purchased a total of six adjoining plantation along the Ashepoo River and combined them into one tract. The six plantations were the Oaks, Drainfield, Fee Farm, Godfrey, Lavington and Bugbee (2, p. 177).
- 1880 The Bank of Charleston purchased the combined holding from McPherson. It is assumed Gahagen left his share of the property to McPherson in his will (2, p. 177) (3).
- 1881 F.W. Wagner & Company, owned by brothers Frederic W. and George A. Wagener, purchased the property from the Bank of Charleston (2, p. 177).
- 1910 The Wagners sold the property to John and Joseph Maybank. The Maybanks used the property as a hunting preserve (2, p. 177 and 309).
- ? Joseph gave his interest in the property to his brother John Maybank (2, p. 177).
- ? John Maybank conveyed the tract to his sons David and John Maybank (2, p. 177).
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop ?
References & Resources
- Lucius G. Fishburne, Plantation Notes, St. Bartholomew's Parish, 1960, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Suzanne Cameron Linder, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
(Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1995)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
- Information contributed by Kathleen Chapman from James Gahagan Will Book 2 page 306 Colleton Co December 29 1880 and:
Lowcountry Council of Governments, Historic Resources of the Lowcountry
(Self-published: Lowcountry Council of Governments, 1990), p. 118
Order Historic Resources of the Lowcountry