Salkehatchie Plantation Salkehatchie Colleton County
- Location Salkehatchie, Colleton County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Plantation subdivided into 5 sections, each privately owned (1)
- 1821 Earliest known date of existence (1)
James Goodwin Sr inherited 1,880 acres from his mother, Mary M. Goodwin, who had purchased the property from a Charleston French Huguenot merchant (1).
- ? House built
There was a house of log construction built at Salkehatchie Plantation (1).
- 1858 James Goodwin Sr granted his slaves freedom (1).
- 1870 James Goodwin Sr passed away. Salkehatchie Plantation was divided until five pieces, of not equal size. These five pieces were then individually given to five Goodwin children, James Jr, Martha, Phillip, John, and Samuel (1).
- Number of slaves ?
- The first slave James Goodwin Sr purchased was named Issac. Goodwin then bought a wife for Issac named Sophia. Issac and Sophia took the surname Goodwin. The slaves worked all three of Goodwin's plantations, Salkehatchie Plantation, Little Swamp Plantation, and Great Swamp Plantation.
Issac and Sophia Goodwin are buried in the Goodwin Cemetery located off Highway 362. Other slaves, and their descendants that were sharecroppers after they were freed, are also buried in the Goodwin Cemetery, many in unmarked graves. Graves marked with headstones include:
Jimmy Goodwin, 1819-1905
Daniel H. Goodwin Sr, 1854-1915
Darkis Goodwin, 1864-1914 (wife of Nelson A. Goodwin)
Rosa Goodwin, 1869-1965
Hattie R. Goodwin, 1893-1929
Andrew Ripley, 1877-1892
- In 1858, James Goodwin Sr granted his slaves freedom (1).
References & Resources
- Information contributed by descendant Faye Goodwin Kerstetter from the Goodwin Reunion Book of 1968.