Woodstock Plantation Green Pond Colleton County
- Location Green Pond, Ashepoo River, St. Bartholomew's Parish, Colleton County
South of Ashepoo Ferry, Old US 17
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Antwerp (by 1860)
- Current status ?
- Circa 1837 Earliest known date of existence
Richard Cunningham acquired the property sometime before his death in 1837 (1, p. 17).
- ? House built
- Circa 1850s Charles Warley acquired the plantation and renamed it Antwerp (1, pp. 17-18).
- 1865 After the Civil War, the plantation was deemed abandoned and placed under the control of the Freedmen's Bureau. Charles Warley was able to reclaim Antwerp in 1867 and rented it out. No plantation house was on the property at this time (1, p. 18).
- 1877 Charles Warley passed away leaving his estate jointly to his two minor sons, Charles Felix Warley and Francis Rowcroft Warley (1, p. 18).
- 1881 Francis Rowcroft Warley bought out his brother's share of Antwerp (1, p. 19).
- 1887 Francis Rowcroft Warley sold Antwerp to James Gahagan who combined it with his neighboring Ravenswood Plantation (1, p. 19).
- 1906 B.G. Price bought Antwerp from the Gahagan estate via the equity court (1, p. 19).
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- Suzanne Cameron Linder, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
(Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1995)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
- Margaret F. Kemp, Colleton County, South Carolina: A Pictorial History (Dallas, TX: Taylor Publishing Company, 1994)
- Lucius G. Fishburne, Plantation Notes, St. Bartholomew's Parish, 1960, held by the South Carolina Historical Society