Cannon Plantation Ebenezer Darlington County
- Location Ebenezer, Darlington County
Legend has it that this plantation encompassed Hoffmeyer Road from Ebenezer, nearly to Wilson Crossroads (1).
- Origin of name ? - the name of this plantation is unknown. We are calling it Cannon Plantation for prominent owner Major William Henry Cannnon, Sr. If you have information on this plantation's name, please let us know.
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- 1800 Earliest known date of existence (1)
Property acquired by Major William Henry Cannon Sr (1)
- ? House built
- 1843 Major William Henry Cannon Sr passed away. His will gave the bulk of his plantation's property to son Robert H. Cannon. It also noted that he left 500 acres in addition to the previously conveyed portion of his plantation's land to son Colonel William Henry Cannon Jr. Colonel Cannon called his plantation Orange Grove (1) (3).
- 1850 The 1850 slave census recorded Robert H. Cannon as owning 52 slaves so it is assumed he still owned the family plantation at this time (4).
- Number of slaves 52 in 1850 (4)
References & Resources
- Information contributed by descendant Jerry Cannon.
- William H. Cannon's Will Excerpt - click link then scroll down
- Colonel William Henry Cannon, Jr.
- 1850 Slave Schedule - Chesterfield, Colleton, and Darlington Counties