Holly Grove Plantation Plantersville Georgetown County
- Location Pee Dee River, Plantersville, Prince George Winyah Parish, Georgetown County
Located off Exodus Drive on Holly Grove Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Jaychone
- Current status Privately owned
- 1711 Earliest known date of existence (1, p. 385)
Percival Pawley received a grant for 100 acres. This property was referred to as Jaychone in Pawley's will (1, p. 385).
- ? Percival Pawley left the 100 acres to his daughter Susannah in his will (1, p. 385).
- Circa 1732 John Waites acquired the 100 acre Jaychone tract. He also bought the neighboring 350 acres from Mary Drake (1, p. 387).
- 1760 John Waites died. His will stated that Holly Grove was to be sold and the proceeds divided among his widow and two young sons. No records of the plantation being sold at this time have been found (1, p. 387).
- Prior to 1800 It appears the size of Holly Grove Plantation changed between 1760-1800 but it is not firmly determinable as many Georgetown County records were lost during the Civil War. At some point, it appears John and Dorothy Johnston Singellton acquired the property. John died in 1800. Dorothy advertised a plantation containing 840 acres for sale and stated she would divide the plantation into two parcels if desired (1, p. 387).
- Circa 1800 House built (1, p. 388)
There are no records for the construction of the house but the building style is consistant with simular structures built around the turn of the nineteenth century (1, p. 388).
- Circa 1830s-1840s John Hyrne Tucker acquired Holly Grove and he owned several other plantations in the area (1, p. 388).
- 1859 John Hyrne Tucker's will divided his plantations between three of his sons with Dr. Daniel Tucker inheriting Holly Grove. There was a church, overseer's house and Negro houses located on Holly Grove at the time that the three brothers were to share use of (1, p. 389).
- 1871 The court ordered all of the Tucker plantations, include Holly Grove, be sold to payoff the estate debts of John Hyrne Tucker. Robert Q. Pinckney and B. Gaillard Pinckney purchased the 814 acre Holly Grove Plantation at auction (1, p. 390).
- 1883 Susan P. Tucker purchased the plantation from the Pinckneys (1, p. 390).
- 1888 Susan P. Tucker sold Holly Grove to J. Harleston Read (1, p. 390).
- 1927 Wealthy northerner Jesse Metcalf acquired 13,808 acres in the area, including Holly Grove Plantation, for recreational use (1, p. 390) (2, p. 490).
- 1936 Jesse Metcalf sold his Pee Dee River properties since he was unwilling to abide by the area's prohibition laws. Williams Furniture Company of Sumter would buy the properties (2, p. 491).
- 2000 Rand Thomas and the Zeb Thomas family owned Holly Grove. The house was still standing and in good repair at this time (1, pp. 390, 396).
- Number of acres 100 in 1711; 450 in 1732; 840 in 1801; 814 in 1871 (1)
- Primary crop Cotton and rice (1, pp. 144, 387)
- Number of slaves 155 in 1859 (3)
The 1859 estate inventory for John Hyrne Tucker listed the first name of 155 slaves. Click here then scroll down to Slaves at Holly Grove Plantation in 1859 for the list.
References & Resources
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- George C. Rogers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1990)
Order The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina
- The 1859 estate inventory slave list for John Hyrne Tucker: Click here then scroll down to Slaves at Holly Grove Plantation in 1859 for the list.